Bisquick's Philly Beef Squares

This ended up being much tastier than I had thought it would be. I even ate my green peppers!

Good thing I checked this at the 35 minute mark. It would have been WAY overbaked had I followed the original recipe, which called for baking it 40-45 minutes.

I think this would be even better using provolone in place of the Velveeta cheese.

1 lb ground beef
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3/4 cup shredded Velveeta cheese melted with a splash or two of half and half (or use cheez whiz)
2 cups baking mix (I made it from scratch)
1 cup milk
1 egg

Preheat oven to 375°. Spray an 8" square baking pan or dish or 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large frying pan over medium high heat, brown beef; drain and return to pan. Reduce heat to medium; add veggies and cook another 5 minutes or so. Remove from heat and stir in cheese mixture, stirring til smooth.

In a medium bowl, mix baking mix, milk and egg til blended. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. 

Top with beef mixture. Dollop remaining batter evenly over top.

Bake 35 minutes or til top is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.



http://media-files.gather.com/images/d486/d191/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

~Big Al's~ Subs

Magic Cookie Bars Recipe

Mario Batali's Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower