Roast Chicken with a Cauliflower Gratin

I generally do not follow a recipe when roasting a chicken. I just mix some herbs and seasonings (garlic, sage, rosemary, etc. whatever I have on hand) with some vegetable oil or buttermilk and rub over the chicken. I let this rest for about four hours at a minimum.
I set the chicken on a tripod designed specifically for roasting a chicken, preventing it from sitting in the juices and fats. This results in crispier skin. I roast the chicken for one to one and a half hours depending on the size.


This recipe for the gratin is from my recipe box with a few adaptations. I needed to use up some pantry items such as the bread crumbs, and the rest of a head of cauliflower.

1 head cauliflower, broken into florets and stems discarded

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/2 cup breadcrumbs

1 cup heavy cream or half and half

1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)

1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350°.

Steam cauliflower for about five minutes until crisp tender; drain well. Spray 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Add cauliflower. Pour cream over top and sprinkle salt and cheese over all. Mix lightly.

Combine 1/4 cup melted butter and 1/2 cup bread crumbs and sprinkle over top.

Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Comments

  1. Mmmm ... sounds de-lish! I'd love to see a photo of your tripod for roasting chicken. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

~Big Al's~ Subs

Magic Cookie Bars Recipe

Mario Batali's Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower