Orange Chicken Recipe

If you like spicy, feel free to add extra hot pepper flakes in with the sauce.

This was excellent! But it ended up being a lot more work than I was expecting. I think I will save this one for special occasions only. Luckily, my parents were in town so I did have some help.

Next time, I think I will add in some sliced onion as well.

Marinade
1/4 cup water
2 1/2 T soy sauce
2 1/2 T orange juice
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T rice vinegar
1/4 t dried orange peel
pinch hot pepper flakes
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into pieces

Batter
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup cornstarch
sesame or canola oil for frying

Orange Sauce
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 t cornstarch
2 t sherry
1 t rice vinegar
1 t brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1" fresh ginger, minced
pinch white pepper

In a large container with a lid or a ziploc bag, mix marinade ingredients. Add chicken and marinate 2 hours. Drain chicken; discard marinade.

In a large bowl, add chicken and egg and mix well. Stir in cornstarch. Set aside for 15 minutes. Remove from batter and let excess drip off. (I used a colander for this step).

Meanwhile, heat a wok over medium high heat. Add about 1" oil. When the oil is hot, fry chicken in batches til well browned. Drain on paper towel. Pour off oil. (I kept the fried chicken warm in a 225° oven).

While chicken fries, mix orange sauce. Add sauce to wok and bring to a simmer. When sauce is thickened, stir in chicken, cooking til chicken is heated through.http://media-files.gather.com/images/d50/d312/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg
I served the orange chicken over hot cooked white rice alongside steamed broccoli. Dad and I topped ours with Sriracha sauce.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

~Big Al's~ Subs

Magic Cookie Bars Recipe

Mario Batali's Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower