Slow Cooked Meat Sauce with Elbow Macaroni Recipe

This recipe is based on one I had for the dish pastitsio. Since I didn't want to take the time for making a white sauce and baking the dish, I invented this easier adaptation.

The only change I would make next time is making sure I have mozzarella cheese on hand to serve. I didn't realize that all I had was Co-Jack and other yellow blend cheeses.

I made a rather large batch of this since we both like it so much. We now have plenty for lunch the next day, and even some to freeze.

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t ground cinnamon
1 large (24 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 small can sliced black olives, with juice
salt and pepper to taste
hot cooked elbow macaroni
shredded cheese to serve (white is preferable)

Brown ground beef over medium high heat in a large Dutch oven; drain well.

Stir in onion and cook 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cinnamon, cook another minute or so. Stir in tomatoes, olives and salt and pepper. Bring to a rapid simmer.

Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer several hours (or as long or short as you like), stirring occasionally.

I served the sauce over the cooked macaroni and topped with cheese.http://media-files.gather.com/images/d600/d326/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

~Big Al's~ Subs

Magic Cookie Bars Recipe

Mario Batali's Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower