Belizean Beans and Rice Recipe

My sister Shelley sent me this recipe. It came from her friend from Belize and Shel raved it about it. Of course, I had to have it!

The original recipe calls for sliced plantains, but Shel said try sliced bananas and I thought that sounded even better.

You could easily make this vegetarian or vegan by leaving out the pork.

1 cup (1/2 lb) dried black beans
2 smoked pork hocks
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1-2 jalapenos (I only used one)
1/2 t thyme (or to your taste)
salt and pepper to taste
1 can coconut milk
hot cooked white rice
1 sliced green banana

Rinse beans with cold water, then soak beans for 4 hours using 6-8 cups of water. Drain and rinse again.
Over high heat in a big soup pot, boil beans with hock, onion, celery, garlic and jalapeno for 1 hour. Season beans with thyme, and salt and pepper. Taste and adjust as desired.

Add coconut milk. Stir and then let boil til beans are tender, about 30 more minutes. Remove pork.

I served the beans atop the white rice garnished with green banana. I also snuck on some ghost chile powder, but don't tell Shelley.http://media-files.gather.com/images/d486/d358/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

~Big Al's~ Subs

Magic Cookie Bars Recipe

Mario Batali's Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower