Fried Chicken, Hush Puppies and Greens

 I usually make cornbread to go with this meal, but I thought I would try hush puppies. They are a food I've wanted to try for years.

buttermilk
Cajun seasoning
hot sauce
cornmeal
self rising flour
chicken thighs
oil for frying

Marinate chicken in buttermilk, seasoning and sauce for several hours.

Mix cornmeal, flour and seasoning in a large flat container with a lid. Add chicken; cover and shake til well coated.

Heat oil in large cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Fry til golden brown on both sides, til chicken is cooked through. Drain on paper towels.

I used this recipe for the greens: http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474977273678

Hush Puppies
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 t each: sugar, baking powder, baking soda
1/2 t of salt
Cajun seasoning to taste (I used about 1 T)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
oil for frying

In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.

Blend in egg and buttermilk. Let rest about 15 minutes.

In a large cast iron skillet, heat about 1" oil on medium high heat.

Drop teaspoonfuls of batter into the oil and fry til golden brown. Turn and fry other side.








Drain on paper towels.

The hush puppies were good, but I am going to stick to my favorite buttermilk cornbread recipe from now on.
http://media-files.gather.com/images/d976/d707/d744/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

~Big Al's~ Subs

Magic Cookie Bars Recipe

Mario Batali's Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower